James, Aria & Sasha

“Blessed and happy is he that ariseth to promote the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the earth.” -Bahá’u’lláh

“Do not be content with showing friendship in words alone, let your heart burn with loving kindness for all who may cross your path.” -‘Abdul-Bahá

Monday, September 03, 2007

I have returned to Boston, so I wait for my mom to send me updates so that I can post them.
Here's the latest:

I've moved into the guest facility that they have for the family of patients at the VA hospital. It's right next door and I'm able to spend more time with Dad and at the same time come over in the afternoon to rest.

Jere is off of the IV and will begin taking morfine by mouth instead of through his veins. I have to stay with him constantly to wake him up and give him liquids and getting him to eat is often difficult as well. He just doesn't have an appetite and feels like he will throw up if he eats. This in turn affects his bowels which are not functioning too well anyway becasue of the morfine.

If all goes well and he tolerates oral medication, we will be able to bring him home.

He will have an MRI scan on Tuesday or Wednesday to see if the cancer in his spine is threatening any nerves there which would ultimate prevent him from walking. The tumors are also in his lymphatic systems where they are pressing against the kidney and causing most of the pain. The doctors are looking into another very powerful strontium 89 pain shot as well as other bone strengthening meds. We are also looking into chemotherapy in Costa Rica to extend his life a few months.

He remains chipper and full of good humour when he's awake and sends his love and gratitude to everyone for their support and prayers.

I will try to keep you updated as often as I am able.

4 Comments:

  • At September 03, 2007 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Friends - Jere, Julie & sweet family. I am remembering you in prayer for complete and whole healing from California. Lovingly,
    Paulette

     
  • At September 03, 2007 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jere, Julie and Friends- I was just sent a link to your blog by Kitty Schmitz. I had no idea Jere was ill. My prayers and thoughts are with you. I and all my family empathize with you from experience. I know this is a difficult time, but know that you are loved by many.

    Nick Brown, on behalf of all the Brown, Henandez, Heady family

     
  • At September 03, 2007 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aria, thank you so, so much for keeping us all updated through your and your mom's posts. I check your blog several times a day and am deeply appreciative for all the news. Then I look at the beautiful pictures of Sasha to get a dose of heartwarming adorableness. Thank you and love to you and all of us who are going through this together, from Aunt Flinn and your family here.

     
  • At September 04, 2007 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dearest Julie & Jere, Our hearts and prayers are with you. I so wish that I could be there to be useful. It's so helpful to have this blog as a way to stay in touch with you and somehow with all the loving friends and family who tune in. Jere -- as always -- you are a uniting force. Love, David in Montana

     

Post a Comment

<< Home